Thursday, December 08, 2005

Chinese Checkers

Yesterday on a TV show about cookies, I learnt that Chinese Checkers did NOT have anything to do with the Chinese. The show was about top 5 cookies, and there was a shop that sold cookies kids can use to play games on. They looked really good, btw.

Chinese Checkers is actually an American game. The name came due to the fascination Americans had with the Orient. If I knew how, I would want to lobby it to get its name changed. I have been lied to and felt good about playing Chinese Checkers when I was a kid, thinking it's part of my heritage. When in fact, people are capitalizing on others interest in the exotic. Now I am just PISSED OFF they did such a thing.
"The game does not actually originate from China (nor is it a variation on checkers or Chinese chess), but was given that name in the United States to make it sound more exotic." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_checkers
No, it is not ok for them to label a game as "chinese" when it is not. No, it is not just a name and just a game.

No comments: