Monday, February 27, 2006

Stranger at the Bus

I talked to another stranger today. We went on the same 22 bus and got off together and waited for the 41 together. By together, I mean I noticed he and I were going in the same direction after getting off the same bus, waiting at the same bus stop though he was a few feet away from me.

It was chilly. I shivered. He noticed - and asked if I was cold. I said yes. For a split second, I thought he was going to offer me his jacket or something. No, sorry ladies, he wasn't hot. At least I'm pretty sure he isn't since he does not look young nor athletic. He was middle-aged, white, probably a painter (the type that paints houses) because there was paint all over his clothes.

We started talking about the weather. Some of his flowers died due to the cold but I told him they will probably grow again. Asked me if I was a UBC student. I said yes. And I asked him HOW DID HE KNOW?! I was not waiting for a bus to go to UBC, in fact, I was going in the opposite direction. I know I look young, but high school students would be out at that time. I could easily pass as a highschool student!

And he told me it was because of my smile. ?!?!?! He said it was a learned smile. I crossed off the idea of him meaning fake smile because he was talking about UBC. We got on the bus and had to stand... He swore when the bus stopped abruptly and yelled to the bus driver to go easy on the brakes.

When I got off, he said "Have a good day, Smily."

No comments: