Saturday, February 25, 2006

Do YOU have a headache?

My cohort had a presentation by an author named Richard van Camp, who is Aboriginal and has written two children's books, a novel, and a series of short stories. I was early and so was he. I didn't know who he was at first, just some guy waiting around at the elementary school where we were going to have a workshop. While I was waiting, I heard my Faculty Advisor's name being said. I whipped my head around and saw the guy on the phone. He saw me look at him. Then I heard "Richard van Camp" and my head whipped around to stare at him again. He saw me again. He got off the phone and we introduced ourselves. He was none other than Richard himself!

We were chatting about various things and he showed me pictures of a white raven that lived in Haida Gwaii following a woman. I got that whole story... Then suddenly, he asked me "Do you have a headache?"

I was taken back. What the heck? This has nothing to do with what we are talking about. So I thought about it, and told him I got headaches a lot and I could shake my head to find out (quite literally - if it hurts, then I do). He realized how shocked I was and told me a voice sometimes whispers to him, and this time it told him to ask me if I have a headache.

He then taught me the acupuncture point for headaches and massaged it for me too. It's in the hand, between the thumb and index finger. If it's sore, then there is a headache and one hand usually is sorer than the other. I was impressed. The spot was very sore. How often does a guy ask you if something hurts, and it was though you gave no indication?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOAH....
-Puds